Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Michael Jackson In A Skinhead Reggae Style - The Drastics Pay Respects With 'MJ A Rocker'


Sadly the mania around Michael Jackson's untimely death has taken away from the magic of the man's musical legacy. I have paid my respects by listening to both 'Off The Wall' and 'Thriller' which were both mainstays of my high school and college musical experiences.

I was thrilled when I recently learned that Chicago-based roots dub-reggae group The Drastics have released their own tribute to the late great King of Pop. The band had this to say about their tribute album called MJ A ROCKER:

In honor of his birthday next weekend! Some of you thought it was a joke … but it’s very very real … and finally here … ! Our tribute to Michael Joseph Jackson .. imagine Sir Coxsone in the production seat instead of Quincy and you’re about half-way there … Included are I Want You Back, Rock With You, Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, and The Way You Make Me Feel … These aren’t instrumentals or covers-per-se … you just gotta hear it to believe it …

The songs are fantastic and need to be heard to be believed. The band has recorded faithful rocksteady and skinhead reggae backing tracks of some of Jackson's most well known tracks on top of which they have dropped Jackson's own original vocals. Download this before the man comes around to put a stop to it.

Here is the track listing:

I Want You Back
Rock With You
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Billie Jean
Smooth Criminal
The Way You Make Me Feel

1 comment:

Lothar said...

Thank you for this Link!
I am lookin for a Ska Coverversion from any Michael Jackson Song but cant find one. Do you have an idea for me?